GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Horticulturist performs skilled gardening and grounds maintenance work such as planting, transplanting, cultivation, fertilizing, watering, pruning, and general care of plant materials and maintaining landscaped areas including building exteriors and hardscapes.
This position maintains an overview of the standards and conditions of the entire facility and seeks opportunities to enhance the visitor experience.
Work requires knowledge of standard methods, materials, procedures, tools, and equipment associated with landscaping and gardening. Persons allocated to this position use judgment in interpreting various conditions and applying guidelines and choosing the proper method to complete the work.
Examples of Work:
- Transplants, prunes, and maintains a variety of plant materials including trees, shrubs, perennials, bulbs, and seasonally annual plantings. Prepares, plants, and maintains planting beds.
- Maintains outdoor spaces to established standards of cleanliness including sweeping, washing, and scraping hardscapes, glass surfaces (non-art), and food service areas. Operates leaf blower, pressure washer, lifts, and other power equipment to maintain the exhibition cleaning standards.
- Implements IPM.
- Manages and implements existing fertilization program.
- Monitors irrigation system including performing supplemental and hand watering.
- Keeps timely and accurate records including work performed and inventory.
- Assists in training on garden maintenance, plant care, plant identification, and garden operations as assigned.
- Assists with tours as assigned.
- Supports established standards of good housekeeping through existing custodial programs.
- Perform any reasonable task requested by a member of management.
- Minor building maintenance (turn on/off lights, A/V systems and HVAC controls)
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Experience with organic and sustainable gardening practices
- Able to work both independently and in a team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proven guest service skills
- Able to stand, bend, squat, kneel and sit for extended lengths of time
- Able to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Able to work with arms extended overhead
- Able to work in high elevation areas with a harness or operating a lift
- Able to operate basic power equipment and hand tools (such as but not limited to drills, saws, vacuums, pressure washer, dosatron, pruners)
- Must have basic computer skills (knowledge of Windows, Excel, Outlook, and Word)
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including early mornings
- Current Washington State driver’s license
- Degree, certificate, or course work in horticulture, landscape maintenance, or related field or equivalent experience.